Sunday, May 06, 2007

it's a bird, it's a plane, its a WHAT?

Fun story... well, not for me, not yet anyways.

Friday night I was sitting at home solo (Dave was at work) and I heard a noise come from the stairs. It sounded like Jasper had fallen down the stairs, so I got up to check it out. Well, I look up the stairs, and Jasper is jumping up at something, and I just see a little flash of whatever it is, so I start to walk up the stairs, and then I see it. A bird. And I think what the heck, followed by "how the heck to a bird get into the house?" So, I open up the front door (the stairs are right by the front door) hoping the bird will find it's way out. I'm not exactly sure what happened next, but the bird ended up on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. So, I look at it, and it's not a bird. NOPE. It's a BAT! I kid you not. I obviously immediately went into freaked out mode. It was small, but still a bat. And it wasn't moving. I had absolutely NO idea what to do. So, until I could come up with something I ran to the kitchen, got a plastic cover to put over it. I didn't want that thing flying around the house. So, I covered it and then just stood there looking at it.

At this point, I called Dave at work, just to talk to someone and hopefully calm myself down. He was able to find some humor in it. good for him. so, he asked me if I needed him to come home, and I said, "no, I can scoot it outside, but I'll need to you finish getting rid of it when you get home in the morning." And while I'm talking to him I'm slowly scooting the plastic cover towards the door.

I get off the phone with Dave and still VERY slowly am scooting the cover... then... it comes back to life! aghhhhhh! I needed to put something on top of the cover, so I found a heavy bible close by (this also served as protection in case it was a vampire) :D

Then I called Dave back and asked him if he could come home. I was really almost in tears at this point... I don't like rodents. They freak me out. And I realized, I know nothing about bats... How many deaths in the US are caused by bat attacks? Would garlic kill it? :) So, yeah. Dave heads home and while he's on his way, I'm just staring at this poor bat trying to get out from the cover.

Anyways, Dave comes home and saves the day! Yeah. One of those moments when I'm so glad we live on post. We figured out (we think) how the bat got in. We have a smoke detector that the cover is currently off, and we're thinking it came through that way. So, yeah. That's my horrible story. I'm still a little freaked out by it. And it's not like you can spray for bats.... or can you? Hmm.

I'll just make a very fashionable garlic necklace, and bracelet, and earrings.... and ring... and .....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story Sarah. Well I'm sure it wouldn't be if I was the one it happened too but your sense of humor really shines through the whole thing. Maybe you can write a book about it "When Bats Attack"

Brianna

Melon said...

You ar braver than I. :)

Anonymous said...

How cool! a BAT! But I totally agree, I would have been scared outta my wits! :) Thank goodness you had Jasper though, good kitty for warning you! :)

Anonymous said...

WHOA. If you heard that garlic is the answer, then go for it. oh, and be sure to put some under your pillows, and all around the front door. hopefully that will be your 'animal in the house' for your lifetime story. - Thank God you're safe! LouAnn

Erin said...

Crazy!!! Now you need to get a bat house ;) I would freak though those things have rabies!!! Imagine if it would of swooped in over you as you sleep!!! Good Kitty for finding it! Brindy protected me this morning...i let her out to do her business and she was barking so i poked my head out because i didn't want her barking at a person, annoying them, further distracting her from her business, but she was barking at TWO DEER!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure next time you have this issue, you can cut off their little head, boil them for an a little while and then the skin will peel right off and you'll have a tasty little morsel.. PRoblem is it really takes a colony to make a meal.

Sam

Anonymous said...

Oh,, that reminds me of my own bat story.. one landed on my elbow at 4AM in the morning while I was asleep.. same situation,, how do you get a bat out of the house, in this case a loft apartment I was staying in, in Omaha... Stunned it with a pillow as it was flapping around the room, then sacked it in pillow case and carried it outside, where it recovered and flew off. Good thing would've felt bad if I'd hurt it.. They're good for eating lots and lots and lots of mosquitos. I'm all for bats.

Anonymous said...

good one. That tops my recent post about the man with an iguana on a leash. .

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now that's an interesting story! Have housing check your attic space to look for more. Guano causes blindness! Glad he didn't turn out to be a vampire bat though, hee hee

Anonymous said...

Yucko- good team work by you and Jasper- smart to put the cover over it and the Bible- "the word being the sword" not quite a dagger in the vampire heart but same outcome.... ha ha. Once again we know that Dave ROCKS!! You are stronger than me I probably would have grabbed my phone and run out of the house. So glad you are safe and thanks for the story.

Heather Joy said...

Oh, that is TOO funny! I actually laughed out loud. Glad to hear you guys got it out :)